Considering the increasing environmental concerns and the awareness of consumers, the companies today’s are switching to sustainable product packaging to please a more educated and savvy consumer.
Aligning your companies products packaging toward sustainable materials will not only help you reduce environmental footprints but it will create brand loyalty among customers.
So we have created a list 7 Ideas for making your product packaging sustainable.
- Use Ecological and Recyclable materials: While designing packaging for any kind of product, it is very important to focus on the material which you are going to use. In fact, it is a crucial step which can impact the technical and structural features of the final product. Using materials which causes pollution, hard to dispose of or composed of toxic waste, are highly hazardous both for the environment and the whole ecosystem.
Below are some of the materials that are ecological and recyclable:
- Biodegradable plastic — Biodegradable plastic — Biodegradable plastic is a plastic that decays normally in presence of sunlight. Biodegradable plastics are made from natural materials such as corn oil, orange peels, starch, and plants. Biodegradable plastic is a feasible and practical alternative to traditional carbon-based plastics. Even though biodegradable plastics have somewhat higher cost to create as compared to traditional plastic. Biodegradable plastics holds various advantages with a lesser impact on the environment when disposed of properly.
- Corn-starch — Instead of utilizing packaging materials produced using synthetic materials, you can utilize material made from poly-lactic acid(PLA), which is generally produced using fermented sugars, and usually from cornstarch. The packaging material made from cornstarch will break down into carbon dioxide and water within several months when disposed of correctly. The materials produced using corn starch are biodegradable which is essential for the environment. One advantage they have is that it can be used for all types of food packaging.
- Cardboard and paper — These are the paper-based materials which are lightweight, yet strong. Cardboard packaging can look top of the line, without much investment. Paperboard can be easily cut and resized to create custom shapes and structures. They can be used to pack products ranging from smartphones to frozen food to medicines.
“Alag Karo — Har Din Teen Bin” is a source segregation initiative by Coca-Cola India in partnership with Saahas, Tetra Pak and GIZ.
This Project will train waste workers in segregated waste and by providing innovative solutions for collection and handling, thereby improving their potential livelihood from waste. This is being implemented with the support of the Municipal Commissioner of Gurugram.
Source: Coca-cola Journey
Few Examples of ecological and sustainable packaging:
- Zara — the Clothing brand has transformed their changes to recyclable
boxes into an advertising motto “our boxes are made of boxes with a past.” Their cases are cardboard ones, produced using reused materials.
- Iceland Foods Ltd — the British chain of supermarkets has made a move to pull back from utilizing plastic in any of their own-label items.
- McDonald’s has recently reported changes in their packaging approach, while at the same time an ever-increasing number of small organizations are moving towards cardboard solutions.
- The bag introduced by Puma which packs their shoes is another case of ecological and sustainable packaging. The organization structured a cardboard sheet and made the bag. This helped them to spare 65% of cardboard. The bag has no covered printing. It weighs less, which is a plus in transportation and takes up just less space. Additionally, the requirement for another bag to carry the shoe is eliminated in this situation.
Keep in mind that ensuring your product’s packaging is ecological will not just demonstrate your organization’s responsibility towards the environment, In addition, it indicates your commitment to the community and environment in general. Awe! your customers with creative custom packaging that catches their eye, as well as sets a case to others how Eco-friendly alternatives can be particularly powerful in arousing customer interest.
If you are looking for more options for creating custom sustainable packaging, You can check Greenhandle, A leading online packaging material Supplier, providing custom boxes and packaging for startups.